RMAL Swim Meet Rules
Download a copy of the RMAL Handbook here.
- Each swimmer may swim in no more than 3 events per meet PLUS a relay.
- Time standards have been updated to be aligned with USA swimming times. This may affect your child’s swimming qualifying times for Gold or Blue categories.
- Each event will consist of Blue, Gold, and Silver heats, combined if necessary, depending on the number of swimmers entered.
- There is no limit to the number of swimmers a team may have in Blue, Gold, or Silver individual events, except for the Individual Medley (IM). A team may only enter 6 swimmers in each IM event (8 in an 8-lane pool).
- Relays are limited. Each team may enter relays in each age category as follows: 2 Blue, 3 gold, and 3 Silver in freestyle or medley relays.
- Relays consist of 4 swimmers. No more than 3 of the 4 swimmers can be boys, at least on of the 4 swimmers must be a boy.
- Blue relays must have one swimmer with a Blue time in freestyle for a freestyle relay or Blue time in the stroke she/ he is swimming in a medley relay. The same rule applies to Gold Relays. Silver relays can have only silver swimmers in freestyle or medley relays.
- A swimmer may swim in only one relay in a dual meet (not true for championships- may swim in only one freestyle and medley relays).
- Swimmers must swim in their age group. However, mini-mite or mite may swim a particular relay as a midget or as a mini-mite/ mite, but not both. A mini-mite may swim in an event as a mite if that particular event is not offered to the mini-mites.
- Freestyle and Backstroke will be the only individual events offered in the min-mite category (6 year old and under). These events will use the mite time standards. Only the silver category of the mini-mite event will be swum. If a mini-mite achieves a Blue or Gold time, she/ he must be entered in the event in Blue or Gold category for which she/ he is qualified in that stroke. A mini-mite may swim as a mite in any stroke at any time, but may not swim as a mite and a mini-mite in the same stroke during the same meet. Points will not be assigned to placements in mini-mite event.
- Swimmers will be allowed once false start per event. Upon commission of the second false start, the swimmer will be disqualified.
- Eligibility: In order for a swimmer to score points in a dual meet, she/ he must be registered and the registration fee paid 24 hours in advance of the meet in which she/ he desires to compete. A non-registered swimmer ( a visitor or swimmer who recently joined the team, but is not on the RMAL roster) may swim as an Exhibition swimmer, but may not score points for the team.